Anyways, I was on my way home from work a couple of nights ago and I stopped at Wendy's to get a quick bite to eat. I noticed that their salads actually looked really good, so I decided to go for it. I remembered reading in one of the nutrition magazines I'm subscribed to saying that the Asian Cashew Chicken Salad is actually a pretty healthy choice so I went for it.
Today, I am going to compare Wendy's salads and make sure that you know how to get the best choice available.
When you are choosing your salad, you can pick a half size or full size--I'm just going to compare the full size salads because if you are going there for a meal that's probably what you will get!
There are 5 choices available:
- Strawberry Fields Chicken Salad
Bacon, Blue Cheese, Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds, Apple Balsamic Vinaigrette, Onions, Salad Blend and Grilled Chicken Breast
- Asian Cashew Chicken Salad
- BBQ Ranch Chicken Salad
Fire roasted corn, Bacon, Grilled Chicken, Diced Tomatoes, Salad Blend, BBQ Ranch Dressing, Honey BBQ Glaze
Cheese, Pomegranate Vinaigrette
- Spicy Chicken Caesar Salad
Asiago Cheese, Grape Tomatoes, Spicy Chicken Breast, Gourmet Croutons, Lemon Garlic Caesar Dressing
Here is a quick look at the calories, fat, and protein values:
Strawberry Fields Chicken
Asian Cashew Chicken
BBQ Ranch Chicken
Apple Pecan Chicken
Spicy Chicken Caesar
All of these salads are packed full of protein and most are fairly low in calories. The reason the Caesar salad is so full of calories is because they use a deep fried breast rather than a grilled. The truth is, most of these salads calories and fat come from the dressing. So, if you want to be super prepared-- bringing your own salad dressing would be the best option. However, I'm pretty sure most of us don't carry around a pack of dressing with us wherever we go...so let's scratch that option. Some of the best options that Wendy's has to offer include Pomegranate Vinaigrette, Fat Free French, or the Light Spicy Asian Chili Vinaigrette.
Another reason to love these salads is because they pack them with different types of protein including cashews, pecans, and grilled chicken. They also get creative with adding different veggies like edamame, green peppers, and others unlike what most other fast food joints might add.
If I had to pick a winner for the healthiest salads I would give it to the Asian Cashew Chicken Salad and the Strawberry Fields Salad. Not only because they are the lowest in calories, but because they have lots of protien, are full of fruits and veggies, and provide lots of antioxidants and vitamins to keep your body going!
- Leave the croutons-- these are just white bread doused in butter and they will not add very much nutritional value to your salad. If you want an extra crunch try a pack of saltines.
- Have your dressing on the side or add a little at a time. When it comes to salad dressing, it is better to have too little than too much. Dressing adds tons of flavor and helps us to consume more veggies, but it is also full of extra fat and oils that we only need so much of.
- Always always always make sure that you get grilled chicken over fried.
- Remember that fast food is not necessarily healthy food, however you can make the best of what they do have to offer.
Thanks for Reading!
Find more information at: